Skip to main content

Cisco Buys Cloud Security Vendor CloudLock



Cisco on Tuesday said it would acquire CloudLock, a cloud-based security provider, for $293 million (£219m) in cash and stock, as companies look for ways to protect documents and other content that is increasingly hosted in remote facilities.




The Massachussetts-based startup, launched in 2007 by three co-founders who met while serving in the Israeli Defense Forces, provides cloud access security broker (CASB) technology that allows organisations to monitor the security of cloud-based content and enforce access policies regardless of the device used to access the data.

Cloud controls

cloud data protectionIt allows administrators to put in place specific controls based on location, according to the company.
The technology addresses concerns raised not only by the cloud, but also by the trend that sees employees increasingly using their own devices to carry out work tasks in locations that may range from their homes to public Wi-Fi networks.

It is compatible with Microsoft’s Office365, Google Drive, Salesforce and other cloud platforms and services.
CloudLock, which Cisco said has about 700 customers, competes with companies including Skyhigh Networks, CipherCloud, Netskope and Microsoft, which recently purchased CloudLock competitor Adallom.


Cloud native

Industry observers said CloudLock stands out from similar firms in that it is cloud-native and builds on the APIs used by other cloud platforms, while competitors have often focused on extending familiar security methods based on on-premises software.

“CloudLock brings a unique cloud-native, platform and API-based approach to cloud security which allows them to build powerful security solutions that are easy to deploy and simple to manage,”said Rob Salvagno, vice president of Cisco’s corporate development unit, in a statement.

The startup is to become part of Cisco’s Networking and Security business group, part of Cisco’s enterprise security business, which has largely grown by acquiring other companies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Demands Immediate End To South Sudan Fighting

The United States demanded an immediate end to renewed fighting in the capital of South Sudan on Sunday, ordering all non-essential personnel out of the troubled country. "The United States strongly condemns the latest outbreak of fighting in Juba today between forces aligned with President Salva Kiir Mayardit and those aligned with First Vice President Riek Machar Teny, including reports we have that civilian sites may have been attacked," State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement.

Canada Police Thwart Potential Attack,Suspect Shot Dead

Canadian police shot dead an alleged Islamic State sympathizer who was about to activate an explosive device in Ontario late on Wednesday, media reports said as police confirmed thwarting a “potential terror threat”. There was no immediate confirmation from Canada’s federal police that anyone had been shot, with a statement saying only that a suspect had been identified and that they had taken “action” after receiving “credible information” about a potential attack. “Earlier today, the RCMP received credible information of a potential terrorist threat. A suspect was identified and the proper course of action has been taken to ensure that there is no danger to the public’s safety,” the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said in a statement. They did not say where the incident took place. Media reports said the suspect was a 24-year-old man who had been arrested in 2015 for expressing support for the Islamic State group in postings on social media. He had been released in February ...

Lafarge Africa Posts N30bn Drop In Half-Year Profit

Lafarge Africa Plc, a leading cement and building solutions provider, yesterday announced a loss of N30.1 billion for the half year ended June 30, 2016, compared with a profit after tax of N27.3billion in the corresponding period of 2014.